Generally speaking, you may be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) for the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Have now been a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the least 36 months
- Have now been staying in marital union aided by the U.S. that is same citizen during such time
- Meet all other eligibility demands under this part
In a few instances, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for naturalization irrespective of their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under part 319(b) associated with the INA.
For information concerning spouses of army people, see our users of the Military and their loved ones page. Additionally for information regarding being a permanent resident or petitioning for loved ones, please go to our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
An applicant must to be eligible for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) of the INA
- Be 18 or older
- Be described as a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the least three years straight away preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have now been surviving in marital union because of the U.S. citizen partner, that has been a U.S. resident during most of such duration, throughout the 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment in the application
- Have lived inside the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction within the place that is applicant’s of, for at the very least three months before the date of filing the applying
- Have actually constant residence in america as a lawful permanent resident for at minimum three years instantly preceding the date of filing the application form
- Live constantly inside the united states of america from the date of application for naturalization through to the period of naturalization
- Be physically present in the usa for at the very least 18 months out from the 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing the applying
- Have the ability to read, compose, and talk English while having knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. government and history(also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of good character that is moral connected to the axioms associated with Constitution of this united states of america, and well disposed towards the good purchase and pleasure for the united states of america during all appropriate durations beneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of the U.S. resident that is utilized by the U.S. federal federal government, like the armed forces, or any other qualifying manager, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad this kind of employment for at the very least one year during the time of filing, could be entitled to naturalization under section b that is 319( associated with INA.
Generally speaking, a spouse of a U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to a legal admission for permanent residence during the ukrainian women time of assessment in the naturalization application as well as enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the demands mentioned above except that:
- No certain duration being a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (however the partner needs to be a resident that is permanent
- No certain period of continuous residence or real existence in the usa is necessary
- No certain amount of marital union is necessary; but, the partners should be in a legitimate wedding at the full time of filing before the time of naturalization.
Note: you have to additionally establish which you will leave abroad just after naturalization and that you would like to have a home in the usa straight away upon the termination of the spouse’s work abroad.